March 18, 2012

The Pirates of Kwanesum!

Kwanesum is on the move again! Left Banderas Bay yesterday morning, destination Cabo San Lucas. Manned by a hardy crew of pirates...arrrrrr.

Pirates left to right: Brian Cooley, distinguished Commodore of our yacht club and sailor extraordinaire; Bob Martin, distinguished mechanic and power boater extraordinaire; Harry Reppert, distinguished traveler, sailor and onboard cook extraordinaire; and my very own...the very distinguished Captain Ran, sailor, traveler, best guy ever! A handsome, distinguished bunch they be!

Since it has almost been a year since I've written anything...(Sheesh! I've almost forgotten how to do all this stuff!) ...psssst > > > I do have one post that has been longggg in the pan and that I obviously haven't finished < < < . . . > > >this is a catch-up quick! I will...yes I will finish this blog completely at some point...filling in the gaps of our travels and how we got to this point. It seems once we traversed to the Pacific...my focus got fried! Just don't hold your breath as you might turn blue before it's done. I know, I know...just bear with me. =)

Anyhoo...Kwanesum has been at Marina Riviera Nayarit in La Cruz de Huanacaxtle, Mexico for over a year. We played there, then left her there, traveled home, bought a house, decided to put her up for sale, tried to sell her there, re-listed with a broker in Alameda, secured a berth at the Oakland Yacht Club and now....are bringing her up home. To complete this trip makes me feel really good. That was the goal all along. To bring her from Virginia to California and our yacht club. To fly the 21 country flags that we flew when visiting each country, while going under the Golden Gate Bridge. But, the plan got side tracked... as things have a tendency to do.

So...the pirates are on their way to Cabo. I decided not to take this trip. Let them have some male bonding. =) Arrrr.... They will refuel there and fill up with water and any provisions they need...then be on their way up Baja. No dilly dallying in Cabo, pirates! Arrrr. All weather permitting, of course. But so far, so good. :::knock on wood:::

The plan is for the crew to leave the boat in San Diego, come home for a brief bit, and then I will go back with Randy to bring her the rest of the way. At least having Kwanesum up in Alameda will let us keep an eye on her, and use her, until she is sold. We don't want to sell her, but we just don't need a boat that big now that we have a house!

Speaking of our house....it was built in 1931 and is located in small-town America - Gustine, CA in the San Joaquin Valley, in the heart of farming country. The house is known as the Davenport House as it was built by Mr. A.D. Davenport and has been owned by the family all these years. We feel very privileged to be the new owners! It's perfect. We love her and respect her and will keep her integrity. It is located in the smack of down town across from the city park.

Gustine is where I raised my 3 children too many years ago and it's wonderful to be back. And...Randy has even joined the Gustine Planning Commission! I love it, Randy loves it, and we have wonderful friends here. I am doing some substitute teaching at the local Catholic elementary school my kids attended. I am really enjoying that. You all must come visit us! We have lots of room.

I feel very awkward writing this post as I am usually on board the boat with my Captain and not keeping track from afar. But I can keep you all appraised of the progress. I updated the map (good grief...I forgot how to do that, too!!) so that it reflects the continuing journey.

I have so many wonderful pictures I need to go through and put in a book, and I want to put our blog story in a book, too. For posterity.

Ok, mateys! On with ya business and I'll be a keepin' ya posted on the pirates! ARRRRR.